September 19, 2005

The Great Steam-Powered Experiment, Part 1

As many of you know, "SiN: Episodes" is going to be released exclusively on Valve Software's Steam electronic distribution system.

Valve is also releasing "Day of Defeat: Source" on Steam this month. So this weekend, I decided to put Steam to the test. I pre-ordered and preloaded "DoD:Steam."

This may seem stupid, but I didn't do this because I like "Day of Defeat." To be honest, I've never played the game...not once. I did this because I wanted to experience a Steam pre-load/pre-order just like our customers for "SiN: Episodes" are going to. And aside from a minor glitch on the credit card number entry screen, it went off without a hitch. The preload was finished in about five hours, and my card will be charged next week.

This release is a true test for Valve. The launch of "Half-Life 2" was marred by issues with Steam authentication. We'll see if history repeats itself, or if Valve has learned the lessons that needed to be learned.

No comments: